2A Magazine is pleased to announce the second annual 2A Asia Architecture Award; 2AAA 2016, which celebrates “Innovative Architecture in Asia”. Accordingly, the Award is for recognition of an individual’s or group’s substantial contribution to today’s architecture in Asia in terms of contemporary challenges of the field in the region and lasting influence on the theory and practice of architecture.
This continent-wide award recognizes and acknowledges architects who have engaged in creating and designing buildings and cities in Asia originating from their specific cultural and geographical localities which possess specific characteristics attributable to their local origins.
- Commercial (Office & Business, Retail and wholesale, Production)
- Public (Sport & Leisure, Education, Hospitality, Culture, Mixed Use, Health,
- Religion, Civic ,Transportation), and community-based projects
- Urban Projects, Rural Projects, Landscape & Public Spaces (Including squares and streets)
- Old and New (Reuse and adaptation, Renovation, Restoration, Regeneration)
- Interior Architecture
- Future Projects / Innovative Designs
- Entry takes place in two stages and is free of charge.
- The submission process is completely digital and online.
- The project should have been built /located in one of the Asian countries.
- The project should have been completed on or after 01 January 2001 .
- For Future Projects/Innovative Design category entries, the design dates should not be older than 2001.
- The First Stage Entry opens on July 1, 2016 and closes on July 22, 2016 at 11:00p.m. EEST (UTC/GMT +3 hours).
- Categories 1 to 6 apply only to completed projects. Category 7 applies to design-only, future or uncompleted projects, including entries of regional and international competitions.
- All categories are open to practices of all sizes and there is no limit to the number of categories one can enter, however one project cannot be entered in two different categories.
- Winners of the 2AAA 2015 (first, second and third places, and special mentions) are not eligible to participate in the 2AAA 2016.
The following criteria will be considered to recognize and honor a built project/ future project in Asia that has produced significant contributions to humanity and built environment:
- Design achievement;
- Technical advancement, includes engineering achievements and innovative use of materials;
- Reflection of sense of place and of cultural identity and ecology;
- Environmental sustainability (including ecological, and socio-cultural sustainability)
- Social responsibility and community and urban connectivity;
- The effects of economical conditions on the project.
- Volkwin Marg – Architect, BDA. Dipl. Ing. Founder of von Gerkan, Marg and Partners
- Nasrin Seraji – Architect, AA dipl RIBA. Dean of the École Nationale Supérieure d’Architecture Paris-Malaquais
- Wolfgang Tschapeller – Architect, March. Head of the Institute of Art and Architecture, Vienna
- Murat Tabanlıoğlu – Architect, RIBA. Chartered Member, Int’l Assoc AIA, Founder of Tabanlıoğlu Architects.
- Françoise Fromonot – Architect, Professor at the schools of architecture of Paris-Belleville. Founding member of Criticat
- Hiromi Hosoya – Architect. Cofounder of Hosoya Schaefer Architects
The Joint Presentation Ceremony
The 2016 Award will be accompanied by an event taking place in Vienna in 17 October 2016 to foster and cerebrate the professional interaction between architects in Asia and Europe: A joint presentation by two eminent architects, one Asian-based and one European-based, will signify this notion.
- Nasrin Seraji, An European practicing architect and member of the jury board of 2AAA, Vienna 2016
- Bahram Shirdel, Architect based in Asia, Director of Shirdel & Associates Architects and urban planners, Member of the jury board of 2AAA, Istanbul 2015.
- Concluding Speech: Ahmad Zohadi, CEO of 2A Magazine and 2AAA
This unique event designed to inspire an architectural dialogue among Asian and European practitioners, all in one forum! Participants will have the opportunity to explore topics such as: The roots and history of their architecture, the effects of culture; history; and tradition on their architecture, the evolutionary process of their architecture, reviewing as a means of assessing contemporary architecture, the use of innovative technologies and sustainable methods in architecture and urban planning.
Awards and Exhibition
- Category winners will be publicly announced in the award ceremony on October 17, 2016 at Academy of Fine Arts Vienna.
- At the same day of the event, All first-stage nominated entry boards will be displayed in an Exhibition at Academy of Fine Arts Vienna.
- The top two winners in each Award category will receive gold and silver medals, respectively.
- Upon Jury’s approving decision there might also be some special mentions in each category.
- The special mentions will receive certificates of recognition and memorial plaques.
- All first-stage nominated projects will be published in a special edition of 2A Magazine and extra pages will be allocated to the winners and special mentions.
- Names and a brief review of all entries will be published in the news part of website, after the event.
About 2A Magazine
2A Magazine is the Middle East regional source for information regarding architecture, design, and art. ‘2A’ intends to establish a polyphonic relationship with the professional, international audience and should therefore focus on structures that make this relationship possible within its most comprehensive form.
2A has always looked for new ways of looking at architecture and art, and has presented various themes, which have explored different dimensions of those fields. Understanding the significance of spirituality and other non-physical aspects of architecture, which have been neglected or in some places completely ignored, 2A is now focusing more on this theme, because we believe the future of architecture can be enriched if we incorporate the non-physical aspects into the physical designs. 2A as an international media in the Middle East wants to be a pioneer and promoter of this process.
Download the information related to this competition here.
2A Asia Architecture Award 2016: Innovative Architecture in Asia
Competition Announcement (Built Projects & Masterplans)
Academy of Fine Arts Vienna, Vienna, Austria